On July 8th, 1920, when Albert Simons was 30 years old, he joined forces with Samuel Lapham VI to create the firm “Simons & Lapham.” Their work focused mainly with traditional homes, but did industrial, religious, educational, public, transportation, and restoration buildings. Even though during the Great Depression, the firm proved to be very successful. Their main commissions came through federally sponsored work, like the College of Charleston gymnasium or large plantation projects funded by wealthy northerners.
Throughout the years though, Simons received local and national acclaim for work in the area of architectural design, preservation, and city planning. Samuel & Lapham worked actively with the Charleston City government to protect and restore historic homes and would be extensively involved with the American Building Survey. Some of the firm;s most famous work included assistance with restoration of the famous “Rainbow Row”, the renovation of the Planter’s Hotel on Church St., the Dock Street Theater, and the design of the new Memminger Auditorium.
In addition to their work, both partners co-edited books of detailed historical research on the architecture of Charleston including, The Octagon Library of Early American Architecture, Vol 1: Charleston, SC (1927) and Plantations of the Carolina Low Country (1939).